Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sorry, I'm Not Going To Tell You What You Want To Hear

I upset an executive the other day when I advised him that a tactic he wanted to take with an employee really wasn't the best approach.  When I explained why a different approach was needed, the response from the executive was anything but supportive. 
 
To quote Dilbert, "Do you want a realistic. .. that will ruin your day, or a lie that will allow your ignorance and your happiness to lock arms and square dance to the next cubicle?"
 
It's human psychology. Most times we hear what we want to hear. We want things to align with our vision of how the world works. However, Mr. Executive, if someone is brave enough to give you honest input, take a moment to recognize it. Don't shoot (or shun) the messenger.   Don't just turn to confidants who will tell you what you want to hear. My recommendation is that you turn to several sources for information and obtain several points of data.
 
For just a moment please understand that HR isn't here to offend you.  We all know that in the business world, unintentional violations do not excuse wrongful behavior.   No, I'm not here to provide you with legal advice. But, I am here to advise you where you may face potential liability.  So,  I'll question tactics, suggestions or orders that may appear to be unlawful.   I will ask questions and seek clarification.  I will then tell you what works best based on my knowledge and experience.  I'm going to follow my instincts.
  
In May, Forbes published the "10 Commandments for Delivering Bad News."  In brief (and the link has been provided) the commandments are:

  1. Thou shalt always treat people with respect and dignity.
  2. Thou shalt always follow up and follow through
  3. Thou shalt always remember your multiple audiences
  4. Thou shalt always bring solutions
  5. Thou shalt always look for the silver lining
  6. Thou shalt always justify
  7. Thou shalt always put in writing
  8. Thou shalt never hide the facts
  9. Thou shalt never delay
  10. Thou shalt never surprise
Any successful employee strives to anticipate the boss's needs and then deliver them.  Telling people what they don't want to hear is risky.  I can sit here, nodding, and maintain the status quo.   But that's not what you hired me to do.   I'm not going to hide the facts and I am going to provide you with solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment