Monday, May 21, 2012

The Reason You Don't Have A Job . ..

Is You!  Yes, you're the reason you don't have a job.

In a survey by OfficeTeam and CareerBuilder, hiring managers say an average of 44% of the resumes they receive come from unqualified individuals.

People are going to give you a lot of advice as to whether or not you should apply for a job for which you are not qualified.  From a recruiter standpoint - please don't waste my time.    If you're not a match 100% for the required qualifications, I don't want your resume.  Period.

Many people simply apply to every open position.   They blanket the town with their resumes. I have had the same individual apply to both an invoicing clerk position and a Tactical Plans Leader position in the same day.  That tells me you're just randomly applying to any job.  You're not reading the qualifications for the position.  And more importantly, that what the company needs really isn't relevant. 

Realistically people.  When I advertise for a position the advertisement is clearly going to reflect the skills and abilities that will allow that candidate to be successful in the role.  If I need an accounting clerk in a fast-paced environment that requires QuickBooks, they need QuickBooks!  As a company we want an employee to hit the ground running.

Let me give you a couple of tips:
  • Carefully review the job posting and ask yourself "am I qualified to do the job?"  Carefully evaluate your ability to do the job.   Don't over-inflate your qualifications. 
  • When you submit your resume - ensure your resume emphasizes your experience.  Make sure your resume outlines your skills. Proving me with your title and the name of the company gives me no information. If you leave the relevant experience off of your resume - your resume is going into the "no thank you but thanks for applying" stack.

Respectfully, a recruiter.


No comments:

Post a Comment